So one morning, I was really craving caramelized bananas but for breakfast???? Nah. So I had to make the next best thing, french toast. I usually eat eat french toast then top it with caramelized bananas, but I decided, why not caramelize the toast? So here you have it!
2 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
1/2 cups whole milk
1 large eggs
tablespoon vanilla extract
ground cinnamon (optional)
Bread! (i used normal Sunshine wholemeal bread slices haha)
stuff to top! (icing sugar, berry compote, peanut butter, chocolate sauce, whatever you please!)
1. Mix butter and brown sugar in small bowl to blend.
2. Whisk milk, eggs, vanilla, (and spices) in large bowl to blend.
3. Melt 2 tablespoons brown sugar-butter mixture in each of 2 large nonstick skillets over medium-high heat.
4. Dip bread slices 1 at a time in egg mixture to coat. Cook until bottoms are deep brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Time to top! Sift powdered sugar over. Top with blueberries and raspberries; drizzle with maple syrup etc etc whatever makes you happy 🙂
(Adapted from http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/caramelized-french-toast-with-cinnamon-and-berries-359230 hehe)
If you want to make normal french toast, skip Step 1 and for Step 3, melt 2 tablespoon of BUTTER (without the sugar! because sugar gives it the caramel). And for caramelized bananas, carry out Step 1, and mix in the bananas gently (you don’t wanna mash it!) Then cook it until the bananas and soft and the sugars are brown and caramel-smelling!
Why not try some blueberry compote? (which was also homemade!)