Took a sick day today and it’s a Saturday 😦 Had a really nice 2 hour dragonboat training today under the hot sun with a leaky nose, it wasn’t pleasant. A throbbing headache hit me next and then you have it, me fast asleep on my bed for the next 3 hours. When I got up, I was really craving somethiing chocolate-y, and considering that I’m gonna meet my favourite chocolate-lover tomorrow, I decided to make his favourite molten lava cake (but seeing as I’m not gonna meet a lotta people, I only made 2.)
This recipe is really good as the cake doesn’t really sink? Unlike my previous attempt (look below).
(Sigh, look at that massive hole in the centre. Worst of all, NO MOLTEN CENTRE >:-( )
Also, I ran out of plain flour so I had to make do with this recipe that uses self-raising flour but I must say, the results were delicious!
(Adapted from http://www.noobcook.com/chocolate-lava-cake/2/)
All you need is really just one large bowl for everything, great recipe for people who hate washin’ up. This makes 1 only!
50g dark/milk chocolate chips/bar/whatever you can get.
50g unsalted butter, cut to small cubes
25g caster sugar (for those using Cup Measure: it’s about half of a 1/4 cup)
20g self-raising flour (for those using Cup Measure: it’s about 1.5 tbsp)
1. Using a double boiler (basically, get a saucepan of water boiling/simmering and set a bowl on top of it, making sure the bottoms don’t touch the water), melt the butter and chocolate chips. (Whisk it often!)
2. Once that is done, remove the bowl from the heat and add in your caster sugar + egg and whisk thoroughly. Try to let your chocolate mixture cool a little so that it doesn’t cook your egg. Or temper your eggs, this is done by adding a bit of the chocolate into the egg and whisking it first before pouring the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture. This is to get your eggs used to the temperature! (But you see, this requires another bowl. Heh.)
3. Add the flour and mix thoroughly.
4. Place it in your pre-heated oven at 180degC or 250degF (I don’t have a microwave, so I’m terribly sorry if you’re looking for a microwavable recipe!)
5. Top it with chocolate sauce, raspberry jam, berry compote, vanilla ice cream, icing sugar (WHATEVER YOU FANCY!)
Enjoy! And may it satiate my chocolate-lover’s stomach for all things chocolate.